Sunday, November 29, 2009

H.R. 3590 (The Health Bill) – It Has Been Read, Understood and Can Be Explained by Yours Truly (Part III - Rationing of Care)

Issue 1: Rationing of Care – Public AND Private

We don’t want “Obama-care” to get between us and our doctors when it comes to what care we will receive. I agree. I also don’t want private insurance companies getting between me and my doctor. Do you?

I didn’t think so. I certainly didn’t want my insurance company to take its time mulling over its approval of the MRI my doctor prescribed when he found three tumors in my tibia and patella.

Luckily, it only took them 10 business days to approve it.

Section 2711 clearly states that there will be no lifetime limits or unreasonable annual limits of the dollar value of any participant or beneficiary of an insurance plan – ANY insurance plan.

This means that there would be no cause for my insurance company to do a cost-benefit analysis of the MRI of my three bone tumors. That should also save me some time. Thank you, H.R. 3590!

1 comment:

JTF said...

I agree, waiting 14 days (that's how long my last series of imaging tests took to get approved) is a pain in the tuchus. However, I'm starting to think that opening up a bunch of imaging centers may not be a bad idea. With no checks and balances by insurance carriers, docs can start sending oodles of patients for imaging when they don't really need it, in return, I've learned from big pharma, all you need to do to get them to send patients your way is buy them lunch once in a while. Doctors will do anything for a free sandwich. At $8k a test, this clause alone may drain the health care system. Yeah, so while people like me and you need tests, some crooked someone is going to recognize this loophole and eventually ruin it for everyone. May as well be us, email me if you want to help me write the business plan and I'll cut you in for 10%.